This is really it. The third trimester. Cue the ominous music.
What’s happening with baby this week:
- Baby is gaining 6 ounces a week
- Baby sleeps and wakes at regular intervals; and when sleeping, can actually dream (how cool is that!)
- Brain tissue continues to develop; brain was formerly smooth, but now develops folds and grooves
- Eyebrows and eyelashes are present
- Baby has 2-3% body fat (pretty enviable), and muscle tone is increasing
- Taste buds have developed
- Baby kicks, stretches, and moves frequently
- Hair is growing
Baby weighs two to four pounds and is 15 to 18 inches long.
Symptoms to expect:
- Due to enter the "peeing-every-ten-minutes" stage (not yet)
- Braxton Hicks contractions (not yet)
- Uterus comes up to rib cage (yes, and it can be somewhat uncomfortable, especially when I'm trying to breathe)
- Leg cramps (a couple, not too bad so far)
- Shortness of breath (yes; Chris and I have started reading parenting books together, and I can't read more than a sentence without pausing for breath)
- Varicose veins (no, knock on wood)
- Heartburn and indigestion (not really)
- Breasts may begin leaking colustrum (not so far)
Additional Symptoms I'm Having:
- Occasional swollen wrists/ankles
- Sore hip continues
- My hands are boiling hot ALL THE TIME. Really irritating!
Some quotes from the Expert Websites this week:
If you feel your baby's head pushing against your cervix, he or she is probably in the head-first position.
Well, first of all, DUH. But on second thought, not duh, because nothing ever pressed on my cervix before, so how on earth would I know what that feels like? I've been feeling the baby's movements for two solid months now and still can't tell what's a kick, what's a punch, what's a head-butt, and what's a ... well ... butt-butt. So seriously, I have no idea what's going on in there.