Monday, September 22, 2008

Enough with the Bitterness!

Sorry to have left that last post of anger and frustration up for so long. The days between have not been so full of resentment, I promise.

It was a big weekend! We had all kinds of family and friends visiting, because Gwen got baptized yesterday. She was very well-behaved and looked like an absolute angel in her traditional long white christening gown. However, I don't have any pictures of this, because I was too busy being the mom and baby-wrangler to take any. (Yes, this is a broad hint for those who were there to send me photos!)

Gwen's cousin Scott (my sister's younger son) was baptized as well. It was great to do them both at once, as we all ended up sharing the costs and duties of the party-throwing and organizing. Dave, my brother-in-law who is a former chef, did all the food; Keith and Karen hosted the reception at their place because our house is too small; my mom paid for the commemorative cake, which I'm happy to say turned out fine despite my cakewrecks-inspired paranoia; and Chris and I, um, we bought the napkins and paper plates. The napkins even had crosses on them! Because we are that awesome!

It was wonderful to be surrounded by so many people who love and care about Gwen, and I even managed to find a few quiet moments to reflect on the fact that the day wasn't actually about cake, or napkins, or pictures, or even making sure Gwen didn't scream during the ceremony. My little girl is now part of the family of God, and though I know that doesn't mean much to some people, it means a lot to me and it felt good to formalize that. My church here is so warm and welcoming, and I so enjoy being there; it was great to share that experience with some of my friends and family, as well.

2 comments:

Amberism said...

aw, it sounds like a lovely day! Congrats to Gwen! (do you congratulate a baptism?)

It sure makes you realize how blessed you are when you're surrounded by family and friends. I love those days!

Jen said...

Sounds like a really great weekend :) I should learn from this. We had Anderson baptized at 2 1/2 weeks. I was exhausted. Waaayy too soon!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails