Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008 Nutshell Meme

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
Gave birth. Learned how to be a mother. Well, started learning.


2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I made an official resolution last year. This year, Chris and I have resolved to get in better shape, and to support each other in that goal.


3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Um, I did. Does that count?


4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.


5. What countries did you visit?
None.


6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Excellent exercise habits. (Note: this is the exact same answer I had last year too. Clearly I have issues.)


7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? April 24, 2008 - Gwen's birth. Every other day is a blur!


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Giving birth, without a doubt.


9. What was your biggest failure?
It's a tie - breastfeeding, or the failure to get back my pre-pregnancy body.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Norovirus. SUCKED SO HARD. 48 hours after Gwen was born, I had to (a) work on recovering from labour and birth; (b) learn how to parent a newborn; (c) deal with the roller coaster of postpartum hormones; and (d) expel violently from all orifices everything I'd ever eaten. The fact that I picked up this treasure of a virus from the hospital where I gave birth is a sterling recommendation for home births.


11. What was the best thing you bought?
Probably my new haircut. Possibly Gwen's swaddle blanket. Maybe even yoga classes, which was the first thing I started doing for myself by myself after Gwen was born.


12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine. Chris's. Sally and Janice's. Gwen's.


13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
"Dr" Hales.


14. Where did most of your money go?
Groceries. Car payments. Student Loan. A gym membership that I'm not even using.


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Gwen learning to crawl.


16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
"Goodnight, Sleep Tight".


17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. Happier or sadder? Happier, though I was pretty happy then too.
ii. Thinner or fatter? The same, which is tragic since this time last year I was five months pregnant.
iii. Richer or poorer? Poorer. Maternity leave does that to a person.


18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Taken more pictures (of the right moments).


19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Eating junk food. Obsessing over breastfeeding.


20. How will you be spending Christmas? We spent Dec. 23rd with my in-laws since the weather for Christmas Eve was unpredictable. We had Christmas Dinner with them and the Kellers as well. Christmas morning was peaceful, with just the 3 of us at our house. We'll be going to Powell River this weekend to see my family.


22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Yes, with my daughter. She is awesome.


23. How many one-night stands?
None.


24. What was your favorite TV program?
The Office.


25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope.


26. What was the best book you read?
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer.


27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
"Snack Time", Barenaked Ladies' kids' CD. I recommend this for anyone who feels that kids' music doesn't have to be insipid and repulsive.


28. What did you want and get?
A good birth and a healthy baby. To complete a half-marathon in the fall.


29. What did you want and not get?
My prepregnancy body back by the end of the year.


30. What was your favorite film of this year?
"The Dark Knight". One of maybe ... three? ... films we've seen in the theatre this year.


31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33. I went down to Victoria to be with a friend for a medical procedure.


32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Being able to breastfeed.


33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Baggy mismatched clothes spattered with someone else's bodily fluids. Glamourous!


34. What kept you sane?
My husband and my friends. Blogging. My blogroll.


35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I originally had "John Krasinski" here, but I'm going to change my answer. if you interpret 'fancy' as 'have the most affection and admiration for', instead of making it all crushy, then I would say these three ladies are tops with me!


36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The election of Barack Obama.


37. Who did you miss?
My best friend. No time for our weekly chats these days.


38. Who was the best new person you met?
My daughter! Plus many of my new friends: Jessica, Bridgette, Alison.


39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
Here's the thing. Whether you trust them or not, people are going to do (or not do) as they choose. If you choose to trust them, you can deal with the consequences of their actions as they come, instead of tearing yourself apart every day worrying about what they may (or may not) do.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"These memories lose their meaning when I think of love as something new."

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails