Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Opinions vs. Facts

Too often people beat me over the head with their opinions, disguised as facts. I have a few good friends, and a wonderful husband, who are accepting and non-judgmental; who embrace the concept of "live and let live", just as I do. Many others - most notably, my family - are quite the opposite. It is only recently that I've realized their browbeating lectures are about opinions, not facts. And that as such, my disagreeing with them doesn't make me a bad, ignorant, or naive person.

Here are phrases you use when you respectfully discuss your opinions:
"What worked for me was ..."
"In my experience ..."
"The best solution for our family was ..."
"I found that for me personally ..."

Here are phrases you use when you discuss your opinions, cleverly disguised as facts:
"The thing is ..."
"That's not the way it works, how it works is ..."
"Here's the deal ..."
"You need to ..."

I firmly believe that every family is different. I know I've never done this (labour, parenting) before, but neither has anyone else been through my specific experience or parented my child. Can we all just admit that there's no one right way? Can we all just accept that everyone's going to do things differently, and if we absolutely must offer advice and opinions, be upfront about their subjective nature rather than presenting them as facts?

I know I'm more sensitive than most, and take things to heart more than I should. That's how I am, and I accept that. I cherish the friends I have who are also accepting and understanding, who allow me the space and safety to be who I am without saying (even to themselves) "That's not how I would do things!" I strive to be as accepting and non-judgmental as they are.

Another thing that makes me crazy is when people assume that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. I get brushed off like this all the time, especially on the decision Chris and I have made to have only one child. Our decision was based on several immutable facts: finances; our ages; environmental impact; the challenges that pregnancy put me through; and the cold ugly fact that we believe we'll be much better able to parent the way we want to if we keep the parent-to-kid ratio in our favour. With the possible exception of winning the lottery, none of these factors are going to change in two years. But when I tell people we're only having one, they say, "Oh, wait two years, you'll feel differently." Yes, I may feel differently. But that is the key. Feel differently. Not think differently. I think a decision based on logic and rational thinking is more valuable than one based on emotion and whimsy. It's entirely likely that in two years, I will long for another child. But does that change any of our reasons for sticking with one? No. Why do people assume I am incapable of making decisions with a longer shelf life than two years? No one says, "Oh, in two years you'll really regret having a kid." They trust me to have figured out this decision correctly, so why not the corresponding one?

Anyway, enough with the ranting and the rhetorical questions. Obviously, I once again have people telling me how to live my life, how to birth my child, and how to raise her. Furthermore, because I am extra-sensitive to this kind of stuff the people in question would probably be bewildered to learn that this is how I experience their indubitably well-intentioned guidance. I am going to have to grow a much thicker skin to survive the trial by fire that is motherhood.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two things:
1) I used to have a thicker skin. Someone pointed out to me how I was protecting myself with said thick skin, and after thinking about it a lot, I realized that I was missing out on some of the most rewarding emotional experiences because of my thick skin. Sure, it's taxing sometimes to be sensitive. But ultimately, I feel more real and more 'present' without my thick skin.

2) I, too, am irritated by the condescension of experienced parents. Maybe you WILL have the experience they say you're going to have, but why can't they just shut up and let you have it? The process is hardly ever as fun when everybody keeps telling yu exactly what's going to happen. People need to be left to have their experiences. And if asked about that particular epxerience, then by all means share. But if nobody asks shut the hell up. Egotism disguised as wisdom drives me crazy.

Did that make any sense? The point is, I'm with you. :)

-Sally

yagowe said...

Can we all just admit that there's no one right way?

There's no one right way!

Can we all just accept that everyone's going to do things differently, and if we absolutely must offer advice and opinions, be upfront about their subjective nature rather than presenting them as facts?

I can accept that, but I'm not sure if 'we all' can.

But does that change any of our reasons for sticking with one?

No.

Why do people assume I am incapable of making decisions with a longer shelf life than two years?

Because they are judging you by the low standards to which they hold themselves.

They trust me to have figured out this decision correctly, so why not the corresponding one?

Because they really want you to decide differently, and think this is a subtle way of convincing you to.

Anyway, enough with the ranting and the rhetorical questions.

Oh, they were rhetorical?

Amberism said...

My advice still stands, lie! :) Or simply don't tell folks everything if you know its going to met with the look and a 'well, the fact is...'

You're absolutely right, every parent is different, every child is different, and every parent-child relationship is different. There's no one way to parent, just like there's no one way to get the most of our lives.

Plus, in my short parenting experience, a lot of the 'facts' I was berated with haven't panned out to be true even though I went ahead and did it my way anyway. heh.

Anonymous said...

Stay tuned for your regular dose of one midwife's opinion:

"The thing is ... it's really ok to tell people to shove it. I know sometimes "That's not the way it works, how it works is ..." they tell you what you'll need to do and you smile and nod and ask them to speak up because you're having trouble hearing them with their head up their ass! So, "Here's the deal ...""You need to ..." tell them that you'll be fine learning it as you go but that you'll keep them on speed dial so you can call them and beg for advice when it all goes horribly, horribly wrong!!

hahaha

Um, in other news, can Ian and I come visit for a day or two last week of april? Unless you've had a baby, then we'll just come with food and stay elsewhere - I'm going to be in Van and would love to head over and share husband introductions - and either see you very pregnant or meet your baby!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails