Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Five

1. I just got back from my first whirlwind trip and I'm about to head out on the next one! They Might Be Giants were awesome, and I just about lost my mind a few times when they played some of my favourite songs (Birdhouse in Your Soul and When Will You Die). I did learn that I am old: spending 4+ hours on public transit on Tuesday, then another 4 hours on my feet waiting in line to get into the show, and during the show, was exhausting. So exhausting, in fact, that I was able to fall asleep at 12:30am without the benefit of pharmacology. That hasn't happened in a while.

2. Continuing in the theme of exhaustion, it seems that I have agreed to catch a 6:30am ferry tomorrow for my trip to Seattle. Aren't holidays supposed to be a time to get more sleep instead of less? Ah well ... there is a hotel bed with my name on it waiting for me, and I'm not getting out of it on Saturday until I'm good and ready. Also planned: Pike Place Market, outlet mall shopping, and a chocolate indulgence tour.

3. Here's something odd I noticed. First, my daughter (as previously discussed) dressed in a really obscure and homemade Halloween costume. Right around the same time, Chris and I went out to a movie with a huge budget and a cast of megastars, which you'd think would be pretty well-known, but whenever I mentioned its name no one had ever heard of it. Then I went out to see this concert in Vancouver by this band that has been making music for like 30 years and again ... no one in any of my various circles (with one exception) knew who the heck they were. I guess hipsters experience this kind of thing all the time, and seem to enjoy it ... well, I found it annoying as hell. When I talk about stuff, I want people to know what I'm talking about! I understand that no one knows who Domo is, I saw that coming, but Contagion? Really? Kate Winslet, Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Laurence Fishburne, Matt Damon? How did this movie slip under your radar? And immediately after that ... spending a few weeks telling various inquirers that I was going to see a concert with "Who? Wait, what was their name?" Man, it got old. The point of this rambling complaint is that being in a crowd of 200 or so people who all knew exactly who They Might Be Giants were, and were enthusiastically dancing and singing along with all the crazy lyrics, was a lovely experience and almost made up for the previous weeks of blank stares. My people! Hooray.

4. I have discovered that my husband doesn't like fun anymore. I offered to buy tickets for us to go see this (in Vancouver, not Modesto, just so we're clear) as a Christmas present, and he turned it down. His stubborn refusal to enjoy life contrasts greatly with my ferry-setting lifestyle, which is just a fancy way of saying that I'm going to keep on having fun without him.

5. Housekeeping: Yes, I have posts scheduled to run every day this long weekend. However, I won't be here to update the Facebook group or the Twitter feed with links to the posts. If you usually get notified via one of those two options, you have two choices: come directly to bloggingfortwo.blogspot.com each day to see the new posts (they are all going to pop up around 7am), OR wait until I get back to town and get all the links at once. The third choice, I suppose, is to skip the upcoming posts altogether. Bwahahaha how ridiculous! ~slaps knee~

Have a great long weekend everyone!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just to make it known, I have heard of the movie you went to see and want to see it, I like the band and am jealous that you got to see them, wish it could have been me and although I haven't seen the cartoon of Gwen's costume, I surf the internet enough to be familiar with the costume that I knew what it was.

Unknown said...

I don't know why it said Unknown, that comment was from Sheila

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails