Saturday, January 12, 2008

24 weeks pregnant

What’s happening with baby this week:
- Baby is gaining 6 ounces a week
- Tastebuds begin to form
- Sweat glands forming in the skin
- Has basic control of all senses – vision, smell, touch, hearing, and taste
- Can swallow
- Head is still large compared to body size
- Blood vessels in lungs are developing
- Eyelashes are fully developed (awwww!)
- Starting to produce white blood cells, which fight disease and infection
- Inner ear is now completely developed
- This week, the baby is officially considered viable
The baby is about 12 inches long and weighs about 1.4 pounds.
Symptoms to expect:
- Breasts are preparing to produce milk; areolas get larger, darker, breasts growing at a daily rate (My areolas look like giant bullseyes. Aren’t you glad you know that?)
- Leg cramps (no)
- Lower back pain (no)
- Difficulty getting comfortable when sleeping (YES)
- Heartburn (no)
- Top of uterus is now 1.5 – 2 inches above navel (yes)
- Fetal movements are now obvious (YES)
- Faint stretch marks may appear (not that I’ve noticed)
Additional Symptoms I'm Having:
- Incredible shortness of breath.
- Sinuses are OUT OF CONTROL. This means that my nose is runny all the time, and that I snore/have apnea when I sleep. FUN!
- My right hip hurts so much. All the time, but mostly when in bed and/or having sex. How unfair is that?
- Weird patches of acne and/or dry skin appearing on my shoulders and elbows.
- Odd anxiety / nesting instinct

“At 24 weeks pregnant, you're moving into your seventh month of pregnancy. Wow! You are two-thirds of the way there.” Sentences like that really blow my mind. Two-thirds? Seriously? Time is flying by! I’ve gotta get organized! Back to nesting!
And can you guys even BELIEVE that I threw up this week? The thing is though, I am not going back on the Diclectin. My reasoning? I threw up like that once or twice a week even when I was on Diclectin. But before I started taking it, I was nauseous and queasy ALL THE TIME, and when I would miss a day, it was absolutely dreadful. I'm not experiencing that now. So I feel pretty good about staying off it.
And then the midwife I saw this week told me that I would likely end up getting nauseous and vomity at the end of pregnancy as well. Joy!

1 comment:

OHmommy said...

Congrats on 24 weeks. Will you find out the sex??? Do you have a feeling what the baby is? So exciting!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails